Karl Rove is an Atheist?

The New York Magazine interviewed author, journalist and Atheist Christopher Hitchens, the interview will appear in the upcoming May 7th edition of the print version of the magazine, or you can read the online version here.

From that interview:
Do you think an avowed atheist would ever get elected in the U.S.?
Yes. I do not believe any of the statistical claims that are made about public opinion. I don’t see why anybody does.

Has anyone in the Bush administration confided in you about being an atheist?
Well, I don’t talk that much to them—maybe people think I do. I know something which is known to few but is not a secret. Karl Rove is not a believer, and he doesn’t shout it from the rooftops, but when asked, he answers quite honestly. I think the way he puts it is, “I’m not fortunate enough to be a person of faith.”

What must Bush make of that?
I think it’s false to say that the president acts as if he believes he has God’s instructions. Compared to Jimmy Carter, he’s nowhere. He’s a Methodist, having joined his wife’s church in the end. He also claims that Jesus got him off the demon drink. He doesn’t believe it. His wife said, “If you don’t stop, I’m leaving and I’m taking the kids.” You can say that you got help from Jesus if you want, but that’s just a polite way of putting it in Texas.
Wow, Rove is a non-believer - just like Benito Mussolini or Joseph Stalin! And Bush and Cheney are only playing lip-service to Christianity in order to get the power that they want, just like Adolph Hitler!

You know, the next time that some conservative right-winger uses the "Stalin, Pol Pot and Hitler were Atheist too" strawman on me, I'll happily include Rove, Bush and Cheney in the list. I'll enjoy the attempted explanations on why I'm wrong.

No comments: