An Open Letter to the Walt Disney Chairman George Mitchell

George J. Mitchell
Walt Disney Chairman of the Board


Mr. Mitchell,

I haven't seen the Disney / ABC movie "The Path to 9/11" so I have no idea if it contains misleading or untrue scenes.

I have, however, read the 9/11 Commission Final Report, and I'm paying close attention to evidence presented from both sides of the fence.

If I come to the conclusion that "The Path to 9/11" is a smear campaign, an attempt to 'Swift-Boat' Democratic leaders through the use of lies or innuendo, then I'll be upset with Disney / ABC. If I conclude that the movie contains lies or is intentionally misleading, I will be upset.

I've been on Disney's side since I grew up watching "The Wonderful World of Disney" on television. I've been to Epcot, Disney World, and Disney Land several times. I own 30 different Disney tapes and DVDs, even though I don't have any kids. I've always eagerly awaited Disney's next movie. I often go to the Disney store. I own Disney figurines which sit prominently on or near my computers at home and work. When Disney was boycotted by the Southern Baptist Convention, I was on your side and made a point to buy Disney products and go to Disney Land.


But as much as I love Disney, I love the truth more.

If Disney / ABC lies, stretches the truth, slyly hints at things that are provably not true, then my long love affair with Disney is over.

This issue is just too important to condone any sort of smear.

Don't break my trust in your company, Mr. Mitchell, because it would pain me to dump all my Disney paraphernalia in the garbage. It would be uncomfortable changing my shopping habits to exclude Disney / ABC sponsors. But if Disney shows they can't be truthful, I will sadly give up anything to do with your company.

Yours very truly,

No comments: