Islamic wackiness forces the addition of more comics at the Calladus Blog

As you may be able to tell from my Double Standards entry, and my Religious Criticism or Humor entry, I really don’t believe that there is anything special about religion, anybody’s religion, that makes it inherently immune from being criticized, or laughed at.

The Muhammad Comic controversy that has followers of Islam raging around the world right now is, in my opinion, merely an excuse for the fanatical to do what they would have done anyway. The more moderate, intelligent Muslims have been calling for a more rational response. I admire that. As a skeptic, I also admire that Islam has historically discouraged pseudoscience and encouraged real science, unlike Christianity.


I find it a shame that Islam, like Christianity, has been given a black eye by rabid fundamentalists. At the same time I can’t help but think fundamentalism is inevitable in any religion that bases its tenets on a book or books written thousands of years ago by people who still thought the Earth was flat. It really is as silly as a cult fanatically insisting that Superman is real, and persecuting all who dare disagree.



The Humanist Network News e-zine hosts a regular comic called “Freethunk” created by cartoonist Jeff Swenson. I found this week’s cartoon funny and appropriate to the current silliness. I’m including it here by Jeff’s gracious permission. In fact, I’m so taken with Jeff’s “Freethunk” cartoon, that I’ve added his cartoon to my sidebar to the right, also by his permission. It should update weekly, so I’ll see how that works next week. If it doesn’t update it will probably be due to my less than expert HTML coding.

So enjoy the comic. Better yet, click on the comic in my sidebar to go straight to Jeff’s site and read all his other comics. If you’re on my side of the Theism / Non-believer line, you’ll probably find a lot to laugh at.


Of course, it wouldn’t be very funny if Islamic radicals slaughtered Jeff or me for our blasphemy. No, not funny at all.

1 comment:

Scientia said...

Wow. Every time I think about this situation, I begin to get so mad that I'm periodically forced to stop grinding my teeth and check my chin for flecks of froth.

"Mad", that is, in both the sense of insanity and of anger. The only reason I haven't blogged on this catastrophe is that I haven't been able to restrain my invective, and I've no desire to spew unreasoned (I dislike using this word, and still more what it says about me, but it's honestly the only one that's apt) hate. Urgh. There's more than enough of that going on already.

In any case, the "wow" was occasioned by the fact that this is the first thing I've read in a long while that made me laugh about the entire- you'll pardon the pun- godforsaken mess. Well done.

And oh- I've posted to my blog. It's rather an unusual Valentine, but hey, the usual ones are made of cardboard. Not all that exciting; at least, not to me. Maybe I'm just don't get the peculiar kink involved.

Thanks for the laugh. And the Freethunk link. Have a good day.