For this post, I’ll concentrate on making an announcement that is pretty major to the secular community in the California Central Valley. So, as this post title says -
Michael Shermer will be debating Dinesh D’Souza here in Fresno, on April 18th!
The debate is hosted by the New Covenant Community Church, with some small assistance by the Central Valley Alliance of Atheists and Skeptics. New Covenant asked CVAAS to assist with this event, and perhaps assist with other future events as well.
Also, on April 19th, there will be an apologetics symposium held by the New Covenant church, which will conclude with a moderated table discussion between CVAAS and New Covenant members.
Here is the tentative event agenda:
DebateI have been told that Atheist and Skeptic organizations from as far away as Los Angeles and Sacramento will be convoying to attend this event. If you are a Skeptic or Secular person living in the California Central Valley, this is your opportunity to come out and show your support!
Debate between Dinesh D'Souza and Michael Shermer
Debate topic: "Does God Exist?" (Subject to change)
Date: Friday April 18th
Time: 7 PM
Fee: NO FEE is required to attend this event
Location: California State University, Fresno - South Gym
- 5241 N Maple Ave, Fresno, CA 93740
(Google Map, Campus Map)
- Seating is limited to the first 1,000 who show up. Seating opens at 6PM, so come early!
- For those who are coming from out of town to attend this event, please email me and I will save a seat for those in your party.
CVAAS will be hosting two tables at this event. Stop by and say hello!
(How to witness to nonbelievers and unchurched)
Date: Saturday April 19th
Time: Welcome address at 8:00 AM
Fee: $20 per person for this event
Location: New Covenant Community Church - Main building
- 1744 E. Nees Ave, Fresno CA 93720
Schedule: (Subject to changes)
8:00 AM - Welcome address by Dinesh D'Souza
Speakers: (Starting at 8:30 or 9:00, ending at 12:30 - 1 PM)
- Dr. Craig Hazen, Director of the M.A. Christian Apologetics Program for Biola University
- - Subject: Challenging Religious Pluralism
- Bishop John-David Schofield of the San Joaquin, CA Episcopal Diocese (Fresno Bee Article)
-- Subject: Moral Issues
- Dr. Chap Clark, associate professor and director of youth ministry programs at Fuller Theological Seminary
- - Subject: Parenting
- Alan Shlemon, a speaker for the Stand to Reason Christian radio talk show
- - Subject: Logic and tactics for witnessing
Break for lunch (12:30 AM – 1:15PM)
1:15 PM - Moderated table discussion between CVAAS and New Covenant church members, followed by questions from the audience. Held in the Student Ministries building. The moderator will be Molly Award winner Scott Hatfield of the blog “Monkey Trials”. The theme of this discussion is yet to be decided.
29 Feb 08 - Update:
I forgot to include a link to my description of my first visit to New Covenant Community Church. You can go there and read about my return to (any) church after an absence of 8 or 9 years.
Also, you can find out more about this event from the New Covenant Community Church "In Defense of Faith" debate and symposium website. If you will be attending the April 19th symposium, you must register at their website. However, the symposium on the 19th is free for students.
4 Mar 08 - Update:
I'd like to extend a welcome to those who have found their way here from the Skepticality podcast. Thanks for stopping by!