Book Recommendation - His Dark Materials

If you haven't read the "His Dark Materials" then you are missing out. Did you like "Lord of the Rings"? How about "Chronicles of Narnia"? Then the chances are good that you'll like Phillip Pullman's trilogy.

I've read the trilogy, and was fascinated by it. I know there are people making a fuss over the fact that the books were written by an Atheist, and that they make the Catholic church look bad. But try to put that aside and read them for the story that they are.

After all - if an Atheist like myself can keep re-reading Narnia and enjoying it, why can't a religious person read other sorts of fiction?

Oh! And for those of you who would rather see a movie than read a book, the first "Dark Materials" book, "The Golden Compass" is coming out as a movie on the 7th of next month.

Here's the trailer:

====================
19 Nov 07 - updated
I removed the trailer in order to improve the bandwidth of my blog. You can still see it at "The Golden Compass" website.

3 comments:

Jeff said...

Funny that you post this today; yesterday I received an email from my fundie brother-in-law with a subject line that read, "Beware - Movie Release, Golden Compass". It contained a link that led to a Snopes page that confirmed that yes, this is an anti-religious story. I think he must have thought that I would appreciate the email because I have referred him to Snopes fairly often, whenever he forwards me an email currently making the rounds in the Christian online community. Like the one about how the ACLU sued the Marine Corps for requiring marines to pray (false). So I checked out the Snopes page, and immediately went out and purchased all three books :)

Scott Hatfield . . . . said...

OK, this is just me, but I absolutely HATE these trailers that are rushed into release months before the post-production work on the film itself is completed.

Why? Because they all reference the same small set of classical music swipes. After Orff's Carmina Burana, the obligatory 'Mars' from Holst's The Planets featured in the opener has probably been used more than any other for this purpose. In fact, I can remember a truly awful episode of Space: 1999 that used about TEN minutes of the darn thing.

Anonymous said...

I'm sooo busy. I haven't had any time to read for pleasure.


Hate to get sappy on you, but I wish you were hear to read these to me.

Rebecca got me the Wardrobe book-ends. The Narnia set you gave me when I was 8 is right there. So's the origin of Species, Asimov's Guide to the Bible, the Bible that Dad gave me at my baptism and a number of works by Ingersoll, Paine, Sagan, etc...

Narnia was never equal to Christianity to me as a kid. It was a cool story that my big brother introduced me to. It still is, no matter what else I read by BS Lewis, or what kind of weird propaganda the fundies want to put on it.

I'd love an introduction to another cool story from my brother. I'll have to go see the movie. And I'll have to get the books to read when I can.